Monday 16 February 2009

Portion control - frozen & canned vs fresh

I have never been a big fan of the freezer (tucked away in a really awkward place) unless it was holding Hagan Daaz strawberry cheesecake icecream, a bottle of vanilla vodka and some fishfingers (not my staple diet I hasten to add!) but recently I have started stocking up on things I wouldn't normally buy frozen such as cod, tuna steaks, prawns, croissants, herbs and cauliflower.

I have also been heeding my own advice (posted on Mums Money Tips section Freeze, Freeze, Freeze) and have been opening and shutting the freezer door more times than i've had hot dinners due to freezing every leftover I can find; herbs, bread, fruit, meat, banana, grapes, pitta bread and berries!

Banana???!!! yes, banana! not any old banana, one that has been peeled and rolled in desicated coconut, frozen bananas are great for teething babies and a really fun desert or late night snack instead of biccies. Check out the chocolate dipped frozen banana

I still struggle with buying canned food over fresh as there just seems to be something strange about vegetables in a tin, although canned food is great for value for money and portion control. If you are anything like me, my eyes are ALWAYS bigger than my belly.

According to The Grocer magazine canned soups account for 95% of the soup market, I have to tell you, I can believe that when Baxters bring out such scrumptious recipes such as Tomato with roasted garlic and parmesan, er hello! bring me more. You are also doing your bit for the environmant as Baxters cans are recyclable and are already 35% recycled.

No comments: