Wednesday 12 March 2008

Credit card & debit card fraud on the news today


Up at 6.30am (trying to get my son into a new earlier routine to
tire him out so he has more naps in the day so mummy can work) and I caught the breakfast news.

Credit and debit card fraud is up by 25% which is not only staggering but also pretty scary when you think about how many families use credit cards as a means to purchase their essentials before baby is born and also during the childs growing years.

I had no idea when I was pregnant just how much all the little bits and pieces would set me back financially, let alone the big purchases such as a nursery items, pram, car seat, feeding equipment etc .The thought of going to pay for them all and the card being declined due to the credit on the card being stolen just doesn't bear thinking about, does it? I am sure many families pay via credit credit card even for grocery shopping so the rise in fraud can have a serious impact on a families survival day-to-day.

BaBeeCard has a feature that allows you to lock / unlock your card vie SMS text message. So say for example, you were worried about your card being cloned in a shop, restaurant or via the Internet you could send a text enabling the card to be locked immediately after the transaction, then when you were ready to use the card again you would just need to send another text to unlock it and hey presto! it's ready to use.

This is a very handy feature if you misplace or lose the card. If you are anything like me, I leave my debit card in the most bizarre places (like underneath the kettle??!) I had to cancel the debit card due to it being lost, got a new one through the post and then found it when I moved the kettle.

It costs 20p to unlock or lock the card but if security is a big issue for you then 20p here and there is a small price to pay for peace of mind and in times of doubt.

For family holidays abroad it could come in very useful indeed!

No comments: